CENTRAL, TX (ANGELINA COUNTY)
CENTRAL, TEXAS (Angelina County). Central is on U.S. Highway 69 eight miles northwest of Lufkin in northwestern Angelina County. The community was settled before 1900 and was originally known as Central School, for a schoolhouse that served the surrounding farms. In the mid-1930s Central had a school, two churches, and several businesses. Many residents left the area after World War II, but in the early 1990s Central reported a population of 105 and had a school, a church, a cemetery, and three stores. In 2000 the population was 200.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "CENTRAL, TX (ANGELINA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrckq), accessed August 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.