CARUTH, TEXAS. Caruth (Carruth) was on the Jacobs survey in southwestern Caldwell County. It was centered around a cotton gin and store. A post office operated there from 1902 until 1908. Children in the area attended the Unity School, which had one teacher and thirty-seven students in 1905. In 1912 Sarah Elizabeth Spencer purchased the community site and built her home there. Most of the early buildings were destroyed by a tornado in 1940.
Mark Withers Trail Drive Museum, Historical Caldwell County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).