CENTER, TX (HOUSTON COUNTY)
CENTER, TEXAS (Houston County). Center, a farming community on Farm Road 1733 four miles northwest of Kennard in eastern Houston County, was established before 1900. A school was in operation there by 1897, when it had an enrollment of fifty-four. In the mid-1930s the community had a church and a number of houses. After World War II many of its residents moved away, and by the mid-1960s only a church and a few widely scattered houses remained in the area. In the early 1990s Center was a dispersed rural community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "CENTER, TX (HOUSTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcmq), accessed December 09, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.