CENTRAL, TX (CHEROKEE COUNTY)
CENTRAL, TEXAS (Cherokee County). Central, also known as Central High, was a dispersed community on Farm Road 851 eight miles southeast of Rusk in eastern Cherokee County. The area was first settled after the Civil War, but a distinct community did not form until the establishment of Central High School at the site in the early 1900s. In the mid-1930s Central, as the community that grew up around the school came to be called, comprised the school and a number of houses, with several stores nearby. Central High was consolidated with the Alto school district in 1955. In the early 1990s a church, a community center, and a few houses still remained in the area.
Hattie Joplin Roach, A History of Cherokee County (Dallas: Southwest, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "CENTRAL, TX (CHEROKEE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcnz), accessed July 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.