CHALK BLUFF, TX
CHALK BLUFF, TEXAS. Chalk Bluff is on Farm Road 933 some six miles north of Waco in northeast central McLennan County. It takes its name from the Austin chalk prevalent in the terrain overlooking the nearby Brazos River. A Moore family received land grants in the area in 1835, but actual settlement may not have occurred before the early 1850s. Both the Texas Central and the Missouri, Kansas and Texas railroads bypassed Chalk Bluff by about two miles in 1882. Thus, though area farmers had fairly easy access to markets, the community did not develop as a railroad town. Before 1900 Chalk Bluff had a school, a store, and a gin. In 1896 the Chalk Bluff school had forty-five students and one teacher. The White Rock Baptist Church moved to the community in 1908 and changed its name to Chalk Bluff Baptist Church. The Chalk Bluff school was consolidated with the Elm Mott school district in the 1930s. Several scattered houses marked Chalk Bluff on county highway maps in the 1930s and 1940s. Later the area was developed as a subdivision, and many local residents commuted to jobs in Waco.
Dayton Kelley, ed., The Handbook of Waco and McLennan County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972). William Robert Poage, McLennan County Before 1980 (Waco: Texian, 1981). Vertical File, Texas Collection, Baylor University.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "CHALK BLUFF, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcpf), accessed December 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.