COTTONWOOD, TX (LAMAR COUNTY)
COTTONWOOD, TEXAS (Lamar County). Cottonwood is a church community at the intersection of Farm Road 38 and a dirt road just east of Cottonwood Creek and twelve miles west of Paris in western Lamar County. By 1896 Cottonwood School reported one teacher and twenty-two pupils. Maps for 1936 showed the community with a school, a church, and a cluster of dwellings. Students from Cottonwood attended Central Independent School District by 1957 and by 1970 the North Lamar Independent School District. The church and cemetery, along with a few scattered homes, still appeared on maps of the area in 1984.
Thomas S. Justiss, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Lamar County with a Plan for Their Reorganization (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1937).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "COTTONWOOD, TX (LAMAR COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcqf), accessed September 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.