COLONY, TX (RAINS COUNTY)
COLONY, TEXAS (Rains County). Colony is on Farm Road 779 eight miles southeast of Emory in southeastern Rains County. It was first settled in the late nineteenth century. By 1904 a three-teacher school had an enrollment of 140. In the mid-1930s the settlement had a school, a church, and a number of scattered dwellings. After World War II the school closed, and in the early 1990s only a church and a cemetery remained. In 1991 and again in 2000 the reported population was seventy.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "COLONY, TX (RAINS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcsc), accessed December 08, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.