CROSS ROADS, TX (NAVARRO COUNTY)
CROSS ROADS, TEXAS (Navarro County). Cross Roads (Crossroads), two miles southeast of Frost in northwestern Navarro County, was established in 1868 by J. A. Tullos and other area plantation owners at the intersection of two roads. A post office opened there in 1877, and by the mid-1880s the community had several cotton gins, four or five stores, Methodist and Baptist churches, a broom factory, and an estimated population of fifty. The town began to decline in the late 1880s, after the St. Louis, Arkansas and Texas Railway bypassed it, and most of the residents and all of the businesses moved to the newly established town of Frost on the railroad. The post office closed in 1888, and by 1900 Cross Roads was completely deserted.
Alva Taylor, History and Photographs of Corsicana and Navarro County (Corsicana, Texas, 1959; rev. ed., Navarro County History and Photographs, Corsicana, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "CROSS ROADS, TX (NAVARRO COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcsd), accessed March 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.