COAL, TEXAS. Coal, nine miles east of Kosse in southern Limestone County, was named for the lignite coal mine in the area. The community had a post office for a brief time in 1898 and again from 1900 to 1901; when the office was discontinued, residents received their mail from Headsville in Robertson County. By the 1940s nothing remained in the area but the old mine.
John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986). Ray A. Walter, A History of Limestone County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1959).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "COAL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcwn), accessed May 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.