CORNUDAS, TEXAS. Cornudas is at the intersection of Farm Road 2317 and U.S. Highway 62/180, forty-two miles northwest of Sierra Blanca in north central Hudspeth County. It was named for the Cornudas Mountains, fourteen miles to the north. The settlement was founded by 1938, when Mrs. Willie Tinnin was appointed postmistress of a local post office that closed within a year. At that time the community served several cattle ranches, and there was a Standard Oil pumping station about six miles south. Cornudas continued to be shown on maps of the area through the mid-1980s, at which time it had several businesses and scattered dwellings. A church and a school were near the pumping station. In 2000 the population was nineteen.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Martin Donell Kohout, "CORNUDAS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcwu), accessed May 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.