DAVIS, TEXAS. Davis, also known as Davistown and as Davis Switch, is a farming community on State Highway 97 eight miles southwest of Charlotte in southwestern Atascosa County. It was named for M. M. Davis, a local rancher who gave land for the San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Railroad in 1914. From 1925 to 1929 the community was served by a post office officially named Daviston; Joe Key was the first postmaster. In the 1940s the community had a factory, two other businesses, and a few widely scattered dwellings. By the 1980s only a few dwellings remained at the site. The population was eight in 2000.
Atascosa County History (Pleasanton, Texas: Atascosa History Committee, 1984). Margaret G. Clover, The Place Names of Atascosa County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1952).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Linda Peterson, "DAVIS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrd11), accessed April 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.