DELIA, TEXAS. Delia is on Farm Road 341 ten miles west of Coolidge in northwestern Limestone County. It was formed in the late 1870s and named for Delia Copeland, the daughter of an early settler. By the mid-1890s the settlement had a Baptist church, and by 1897 it had a one-teacher school with seventy-three pupils. A Delia post office operated from 1895 until sometime after 1930; James T. Thompson was the first postmaster. By 1914 the community had eight businesses and a population of 100, and during the 1920s and 1930s it reported four businesses and a population of 120. In 1947 Delia had a school, two churches, and three businesses. Its population was reported at forty in the late 1940s and twenty in the mid-1960s. In 1990 a church still met in the community. In 2000 the population was still reported at twenty.
Ray A. Walter, A History of Limestone County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1959).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephanie A. Panus, "DELIA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrd17), accessed October 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.