DETMOLD, TEXAS. Detmold is near Farm Road 486 four miles north of Thorndale in western Milam County. Early settlers in the area were of German descent. Detmold had a one-teacher school with thirty-eight students in 1903. A church, a school, several businesses, and scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps in 1941. The Detmold school was consolidated with the Thorndale Independent School District in 1946. Detmold, which was named on county highway maps in the 1980s, was still listed as a community in 1990.
Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956). Milam County Heritage Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "DETMOLD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrd21), accessed December 06, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.