DIVIDE, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)
DIVIDE, TEXAS (Hopkins County). Divide, on Farm Road 3389 ten miles southwest of the community of Sulphur Springs in southwestern Hopkins County, first formed around 1880, when a post office was established there with James Webster as postmaster. By 1885 the town had a steam gristmill, two cotton gins, three churches, a district school, and a population of 130. By 1890 its population had dropped to twenty-five, and in 1899 the post office closed. A school was in operation there around 1900, and a Baptist church was established in 1905, but by the mid-1930s the community no longer appeared on highway maps. In the 1960s Divide had a church and a number of scattered dwellings. In the late 1980s the community still had a church.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "DIVIDE, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrd26), accessed December 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.