DOTSON, TEXAS. Dotson, on Farm Road 1971 some fourteen miles southwest of Carthage in southwestern Panola County, is in a cotton and lumber producing area that was settled before the Civil War. A post office operated at the community from 1915 to 1921. In the mid-1930s Dotson had nine businesses, a school, a church, a number of houses, and an estimated population of twenty. Its reported population increased to fifty in the 1940s. After World War II the town declined, and by the early 1970s only a store and a few houses remained in the area. In the early 1990s Dotson was a dispersed rural community with about forty residents. The population remained the same in 2000.
Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979). John Barnette Sanders, Postoffices and Post Masters of Panola County, Texas, 1845–1930 (Center, Texas, 1964).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "DOTSON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrd35), accessed January 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.