DREYFOOS, TEXAS. Dreyfoos, in northern Hemphill County, was established in 1928, when the Cities Service Gas Company built a compressor station on land purchased from Dick Cann, a pioneer rancher. Between April and October 1929 a post office named Cann Station was located at the site. During the same time a two-year high school was built on land purchased from Ben Dreyfoos, and the community was called Dreyfoos, even though the official name was Patton. During this time the town had a population of about forty. The population had decreased to thirteen by 1966, when the inhabitants were ranchers, farmers, or employees of Cities Service Gas Company. In 1966 the school was still in use and had only one teacher. In 1970 the county school board voted to consolidate the Patton school with that of Canadian. Although the gas plant was still in operation in 1984, most of its employees lived then in Canadian.
Sallie B. Harris, Cowmen and Ladies: A History of Hemphill County (Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains, 1977).