DROP, TEXAS. Drop is on Farm Road 1384 four miles northwest of Justin in southwest Denton County. Legend has it that the rural community, originally part of the Denton Creek settlement established in 1854, petitioned postal authorities for a post office to be named Dewdrop. When the federal agency announced that Texas already had a town with that name, the residents simply decided to remove the first three letters and adopt the name of Drop. The Drop post office opened in 1886. Located in a wheat-producing area of Denton County, Drop acted as a supply point for area farmers. The railroad tracks, built near Justin in the late 1880s, attracted people and businesses from the surrounding rural communities. The post office at Drop was closed by 1910. In 1936 the population was estimated at thirty-eight. It was reported at fewer than thirty in 1963.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "DROP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrd42), accessed September 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.