DOLEN, TEXAS. Dolen is at the junction of Farm roads 787 and 223, sixty-eight miles northwest of Beaumont in northern Liberty County. The Dolen post office was established in 1903 and named for an early settler. The community was built on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway. Although its post office was discontinued in 1914, a voting precinct was set up at the Dolen schoolhouse the following year. Extensive gravel and sand pits southeast of the community provide the locale's most notable industry. In 1951 Dolen voters defeated an attempt to consolidate the Dolen Common School District with the Tarkington district by a 54–41 margin. Maps for the mid-1980s showed a number of buildings at the Dolen community, which still existed in 1990.
Miriam Partlow, Liberty, Liberty County, and the Atascosito District (Austin: Pemberton, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "DOLEN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrd48), accessed December 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.