DEER CREEK, TX (MEDINA COUNTY)
DEER CREEK, TEXAS (Medina County). Deer Creek, named for the bountiful wild deer in the area, was near the junction of the East and West Squirrel creeks, nine miles west of Yancey in far southwestern Medina County. In 1907 seventeen students attended the one-teacher Deer Creek School. In the 1920s ranching was the principal means of livelihood for members of the community. The school and a few scattered dwellings were in the community as late as 1947 but were abandoned by 1970.
Castro Colonies Heritage Association, The History of Medina County, Texas (Dallas: National Share Graphics, 1983). Houston B. Eggen, History of Public Education in Medina County, Texas, 1848–1928 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1950).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "DEER CREEK, TX (MEDINA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrd70), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.