DAVIS PRAIRIE, TX
DAVIS PRAIRIE, TEXAS. Davis Prairie is three miles east of Thornton in south central Limestone County. It was named for Eli Davis, who settled in the area in the 1840s. The community in the mid-1890s was the focus of a common school district that had two teachers and eighty-six students. The school, a business, and several scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps in the late 1940s. The Davis Prairie school was consolidated with the Thornton Independent School District in 1949. Little remained in the area in the 1980s. The population was seventeen in 2000.
Ray A. Walter, A History of Limestone County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1959).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "DAVIS PRAIRIE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrdak), accessed April 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.