DIXIE, TX (LAMAR COUNTY)
DIXIE, TEXAS (Lamar County). Dixie was ten miles northwest of Brookston and sixteen northwest of Paris in northwestern Lamar County. The area was occupied by 1890 when a post office opened. In 1892 postmaster C. Stuckey reported that local businesses were a masonry, a blacksmith shop, and several flour mills. At that time mail was received by special delivery, and the community had one teacher, F. M. Walky. The Dixie school reported twenty-eight students and two teachers in 1896. The community's post office closed in 1905, and Dixie no longer appeared on maps by 1936.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "DIXIE, TX (LAMAR COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrdan), accessed November 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.