DIXIE, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)
DIXIE, TEXAS (Panola County). Dixie was near the site of later Dotson fourteen miles southwest of Carthage in southwestern Panola County. It was probably established after the Civil War. A post office opened there in March 1880 with Ebenezer Sistrunk as postmaster; it closed the next year. In the early 1880s the settlement had a general store, a mill, and a number of houses. By 1900 it was no longer shown on maps.
John Barnette Sanders, Postoffices and Post Masters of Panola County, Texas, 1845–1930 (Center, Texas, 1964).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "DIXIE, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrdwk), accessed June 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.