DEEPWATER, TEXAS. Deepwater, between Pasadena and Deerpark in southeastern Harris County, was named for its location on the Houston Ship Channel. The community, which developed around a station on the Galveston, Houston and Northern Railway, had a population of fifty in 1893. A local post office opened in 1894 and closed in 1921, when mail was delivered from Pasadena. By 1896 Deepwater had a population of 200, a sawmill, a blacksmith, a hotel, a church, a general store, and the weekly Enterprise newspaper. In 1905 the local white school had forty pupils and one teacher, and the local black school thirty-five students and one teacher. By 1914 the population had risen to 250, but the town had begun to decline, and the general store was its principal business. In the 1980s Deepwater was engulfed by Pasadena and was marked only by an abandoned railroad station at the former townsite.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "DEEPWATER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrdwr), accessed December 05, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.