DARGAN, TEXAS. Dargan, a post office community seven miles northeast of DeBerry in northeastern Panola County near the Louisiana state line, was probably established in the early 1880s. A post office opened there in 1888, and in the early 1890s the settlement had a general store, a lumberyard, and an estimated population of fifty. Its post office closed in 1908, and local mail was sent to Bethany, Louisiana. By the mid-1930s Dargan was no longer shown on county highway maps.
John Barnette Sanders, Postoffices and Post Masters of Panola County, Texas, 1845–1930 (Center, Texas, 1964).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "DARGAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrdxj), accessed July 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.