Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

EAST POINT, TX

EAST POINT, TEXAS. East Point is at the intersection of Farm roads 312 and 2088, eight miles east of Quitman in east central Wood County. The community, said to have been named for its place on the east point of an earlier settlement, was settled near Stout's Creek as early as the 1870s. In 1893 the East Point Missionary Baptist Church was organized with help from members of the nearby Little Hope church. By 1896 East Point's one-teacher school had eighty-six students; in 1905 that number had fallen to sixty. In 1932 the East Point school had 103 white students in ten grades and twenty black students in seven grades. By the mid-1930s the community had a church, a business, and twenty-five residents; the population was reported at that level until the mid-1940s, after which no figures were available for several decades. A 1988 map indicated a church and a business at the site. In 2000 the population was forty.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin (Little Hope Missionary Baptist Church).

Rachel Jenkins

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Rachel Jenkins, "EAST POINT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hre02), accessed October 02, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Texas AlmanacFor more information about towns and counties including physical features, statistics, weather, maps and much more, visit the Town Database on TexasAlmanac.com!