EASTGATE, TEXAS. Eastgate is near the junction of Farm roads 1960 and 686, thirty-three miles northeast of Houston in western Liberty County. According to local tradition, the community was named for its location at the east gate of the fence crossing the Beaumont, Sour Lake and Western Railway. The town plat was drawn up by J. C. Perry in 1911, but it was not filed until two years later. The post office operated from 1912 to 1925. During the mid-1950s Eastgate had a peak estimated population of sixty and three businesses. Churches and scattered buildings remained dispersed in the area, and Eastgate was still listed as a community in 1990.
Miriam Partlow, Liberty, Liberty County, and the Atascosito District (Austin: Pemberton, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "EASTGATE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hre04), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.