ELMTOWN, TEXAS. Elmtown is at the intersection of a country road and Farm Road 315, nine miles north of Palestine in northern Anderson County. The community was named for the trees that lined nearby Mound Prairie Creek. Elmtown had a post office from 1901 to 1906. In 1933 the settlement comprised ten residents and two businesses, and by the late 1930s its population was estimated at fifty. During the 1940s there was a factory there. By the 1980s all that remained at the crossroads site was a cemetery, but the name Elmtown was still used on county highway maps to refer to the extended rural community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "ELMTOWN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hre23), accessed December 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.