EUNICE, TEXAS. Eunice is on State Highway 7 some fourteen miles east of Centerville in eastern Leon County. It was founded in the mid-1800s by John Morrison and was originally known as Morrison's Chapel. In 1907 a Eunice post office was established there in the store of Charles J. Hogan, who served as the first postmaster; the post office was named after his daughter. By 1914 the Eunice community had a population of 100, a livestock breeder, and a general store. In 1934 its post office was discontinued, and mail was rerouted through Nineveh. Eunice reported a population of twenty-five in 1940. A 1964 map shows about ten buildings and the Victory Church at the site. Eunice is labeled on the 1983 highway map, but no buildings are shown there.
Leon County Historical Book Survey Committee, History of Leon County (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Dylan Wood, "EUNICE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hre35), accessed December 09, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.