EVANSVILLE, TEXAS. Evansville was on the Houston and Texas Central Railway near Jewett and nineteen miles northwest of Centerville in northwestern Leon County. It had a post office from 1909 to 1931, and Howard Holleman was the first postmaster. When the post office closed, the mail was rerouted through Newby. Evansville was a coal-mining town and prospered until 1930, when the local supply of soft coal was depleted. From 1925 through the mid-1930s Evansville reported a population of 200, and in the 1930s it reported one business. The community was not shown on county highway maps in the 1930s.
Leon County Historical Book Survey Committee, History of Leon County (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1986).