EGYPT, TX (KAUFMAN COUNTY)
EGYPT, TEXAS (Kaufman County). Egypt (Little Egypt), twelve miles southeast of Kaufman in eastern Kaufman County, formed sometime before the Civil War. This predominantly black community extended along Farm Road 1836 from Ayres Chapel on the west to the Cedar Hill church on the east. In the latter half of the 1800s it was a thriving community with a general store, blacksmith shop, and resident physician. A post office opened there in 1876 but closed in 1888. The community is not shown on county highway maps for the 1930s.
Kaufman Sun, February 10, March 3, 1882, March 20, 1884, February 25, 1886.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jack Stoltz, "EGYPT, TX (KAUFMAN COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hre38), accessed October 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.