EMINENCE, TEXAS. Eminence is west of Farm Road 563 and south of Interstate Highway 10, forty-six miles east of Houston in northern Chambers County. The Eminence post office operated from 1898 until 1909. By 1939 a filling station-general store, a school, and a church marked the site at Eminence. A sawmill, operated by J. E. Cline, opened in 1940. By the mid-1970s the Eminence church, several cemeteries, and widely scattered buildings were all that remained.
Jewel Horace Harry, A History of Chambers County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940; rpt., Dallas: Taylor, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "EMINENCE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hre40), accessed April 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.