ELWOOD, TX (VAN ZANDT COUNTY)
ELWOOD, TEXAS (Van Zandt County). Elwood is near Farm Road 47 thirteen miles northwest of Canton in northwestern Van Zandt County. Its Baptist church was started as early as 1898. The name Elwood was formed by a combination of the nearby Ellis Chapel and Woodall schools in 1917, when the local church moved and became known as the Elwood church. In 1904 the Ellis Chapel school enrollment had reached fifty and the Woodall school, forty-eight. In 1936 the Elwood community had the school, a cemetery, and scattered dwellings. Its school had been consolidated with the Edgewood Independent School District by the early 1950s. In 1981 scattered dwellings remained near the Woodall cemetery.
Van Zandt County History Book Committee, History of Van Zandt County (Dallas, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "ELWOOD, TX (VAN ZANDT COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hre56), accessed January 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.