EGYPT, TX (MONTGOMERY COUNTY)
EGYPT, TEXAS (Montgomery County). Egypt was located near the junction of Farm roads 1488 and 2978 about nine miles southwest of Conroe in southwestern Montgomery County. The town existed in the 1870s, and from the late 1800s through the early 1900s Egypt was a sawmill town that served a prominent timber industry in the area. The town declined through the rest of the twentieth century, and though Egypt was still shown on highway maps in 1990 there was virtually no sign of the community. In 2005 a byway called Honea-Egypt Road reminded travelers of the former sawmill town.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "EGYPT, TX (MONTGOMERY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hre73), accessed July 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.