EMBREE, TEXAS. Embree was at the intersection of State Highway 78 and the Santa Fe Railroad, at a site within the present city limits of Garland in northeastern Dallas County. It was established in 1886 when the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway came through Dallas County a mile east of the old town of Duck Creek. Many Duck Creek residents moved to Embree, which was named for Dr. K. H. Embree, a physician and postmaster of Duck Creek. On February 1, 1887, the post office was moved from Duck Creek to Embree. The Embree Enterprise began in "Old" Duck Creek as the Duck Creek Rustler; the last issue appeared on October 18, 1888. Embree voted to incorporate on October 28, 1887. Because of a rivalry between Embree and the "New" Duck Creek, a mile west on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad, the post office was moved to a new location between the two communities and named Garland on December 9, 1887. Embree was disincorporated in 1891 so that it could be reincorporated, along with Duck Creek, as the town of Garland on March 31, 1891.
Ruth Buchholz, "Our Garland, Texas (Lovely and Lively)," Garland 1988 Magazine. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County (Chicago: Lewis, 1892; rpt., Dallas: Walsworth, 1976). David S. Switzer, It's Our Dallas County (Dallas: Switzer, 1954). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin (Garland, Texas).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Lisa C. Maxwell, "EMBREE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hredx), accessed March 07, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.