ETNA, TEXAS. Etna was near the site of present Bullard thirty miles northwest of Rusk in northwestern Cherokee County. It was first settled by immigrants from the Old South around the time of the Civil War. A local post office opened in 1867, and by the early 1880s the community had a district school, a church, a steam gristmill, a blacksmith shop, several general stores, and a drygoods store. The settlement began to decline in the mid-1880s, after the Kansas and Gulf Short Line Railroad bypassed it. Most of the residents and businesses moved to Bullard. The post office was closed in 1883, and by 1900 Etna was a ghost town.
Cherokee County History (Jacksonville, Texas: Cherokee County Historical Commission, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "ETNA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrelp), accessed September 02, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.