EL CENTRO, TX
EL CENTRO, TEXAS. El Centro (Centro) is a community of Spanish-speaking livestock raisers at the intersection of Farm Road 2294 and the Delmita cutoff, two miles south of San Isidro and one mile west of Delmita in northeastern Starr County. Residents included the Rojas, Valverdes, and Villarreal families. Some area land titles date from Spanish Texas. The community reported a population of twenty-five in 1940. Around that time it also had two businesses, four farm units, and two dwellings. In the mid-1960s it had three businesses and a cemetery. In 1991 only a few farmhouses were in the immediate vicinity, though more than fifty homes were on Farm Road 2294 between the intersection and San Isidro. In 2000 the population was ten.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Dick D. Heller, Jr., "EL CENTRO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hreml), accessed April 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.