ELM, TX (KARNES COUNTY)
ELM, TEXAS (Karnes County). Elm, also called Seale's Chapel, in the extreme northeastern corner of Karnes County, was named for nearby Elm Creek. It had a post office from 1898 to 1911. Neal Bowen, father-in-law of John Wesley Hardin, ran a small grocery there, and the community also eventually had a cotton gin. The place declined after the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway was extended from Stockdale to Cuero in 1905, and Nixon was established in 1906. Highway maps in the early 1980s named Elm and showed a cemetery at the site.
Robert H. Thonhoff, History of Karnes County (M.A. thesis, Southwest Texas State College, 1963).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert H. Thonhoff, "ELM, TX (KARNES COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hresu), accessed August 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.