FETZER, TEXAS. Fetzer (Fetzer Switch), in far northeast Waller County near the Montgomery and Grimes county lines, developed as a switching yard on the International-Great Northern Railroad (later the Missouri Pacific, which in the 1980s paralleled Farm Road 1774). Sometime before 1913 Laura Fetzer gave a one-mile stretch of land for the railroad switch and later mysteriously departed from the community that bears her name. Farmers, stock raisers, and sawmill workers made up the early population. A post office located on land provided by J. M. Allan operated there from 1913 until 1940. By 1914 an estimated 150 persons lived at Fetzer; perhaps as many as twelve sawmills operated within a twenty-mile radius of the community. When the timber in the area was depleted the sawmills closed and Fetzer declined. During the 1920s the population dropped to seventy-five; in the 1930s it was only about twenty-five. The railroad switch ceased operations, but a few homes still existed in the area in the late 1970s. Fetzer was listed as a community in 1990, but without census figures.
Mildred W. Abshier, et al., Former Post Offices of Waller County (Hempstead, Texas: Waller County Historical Society, 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Paul M. Lucko, "FETZER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrf08), accessed November 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.