FLOY, TEXAS. Floy, a switch and siding on the Southern Pacific line, is on Farm Road 154 2½ miles southwest of Muldoon between West Point and Flatonia in southwestern Fayette County. The switch was built before 1900 on the Waco branch of the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway at the request of E. A. Arnim and was named for Arnim's daughter. The railroad switch was designed as a loading point for firewood cut from the abundant oaks in the area. Because of the proximity of Muldoon, Floy never developed a business community but did have a school that operated until local consolidation. Floy residents both voted and received mail at Muldoon. Floy is located within the heart of the Muldoon oilfield, and during the 1980s a charcoal manufacturing plant remained in the area to take advantage of the abundantly available firewood that aided the foundation of the community.
Frank Lotto, Fayette County: Her History and Her People (Schulenburg, Texas: Sticker Steam Press, 1902; rpt., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jeff Carroll, "FLOY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrf14), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.