FOREST CHAPEL, TX
FOREST CHAPEL, TEXAS. Forest Chapel is a church community at the intersection of Farm roads 197 and 1500, just north of Pat Mayse State Park and two miles southwest of Chicota in extreme northern Lamar County. The area was settled by 1896, when the Forest Chapel school reported fifty-six students and two teachers. Though the settlement was not named on the 1936 county highway map, it was shown with two churches, two cemeteries, a cotton gin, and a cluster of dwellings at the crossroads. By that time the Forest Chapel school had closed, and local children attended the nearby Forest Grove school. Throughout the 1940s the Forest Chapel community reported one business and twenty-five residents. By 1957 the Forest Grove school had been consolidated into the Chicota Independent School District, which had become part of the North Lamar system by 1970. In 1980 the community had the Forest Chapel Church and cemetery as well as a few scattered dwellings. County highway maps identified one business at the site in 1984.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "FOREST CHAPEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrf16), accessed August 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.