FOSTER, TX (TERRY COUNTY)
FOSTER, TEXAS (Terry County). Foster is on Farm Road 403 eight miles south of Brownfield in south central Terry County. Early ranchers in the area, such as Monroe Brown Sawyer, lived in virtual isolation; the mail was delivered on horseback. Foster was founded in 1928. By 1930 there were thirty schools in Terry County, including the Foster school. It was consolidated with the Wellman Independent School District by 1943 and was located in the Union Independent School District by the mid-1960s. In 1936 Foster had a church, a school, and a number of scattered dwellings. In 1966 the community reported a population of four, a general store, and a gin. The 1982 county highway map showed one industry, an additional business, and a church at Foster. In 2000 the population was twenty-five.
Terry County Historical Survey Committee, Early Settlers of Terry (Hereford, Texas: Pioneer, 1968).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jeanne F. Lively, "FOSTER, TX (TERRY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrf18), accessed December 08, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.