FURRH, TEXAS. Furrh is on Farm Road 31 fourteen miles northeast of Carthage in northeastern Panola County. It was named for John Furrh, who established a grist and saw mill near DeBerry in 1871, and Furrh's son T. H. Furrh, who by 1885 had a mill and general store at the site of the settlement. A post office was established at Furrh in 1898, and by 1914 the community also had two general stores, a cotton gin, a gristmill, and an estimated population of 150. Its post office closed in 1917, and mail for Furrh residents was sent to DeBerry. By the mid-1930s only a store and a number of scattered houses remained at Furrh, which reported a population of sixty-two in 1936. After World War II the store closed. In the early 1990s Furrh was a dispersed rural community with an estimated population of forty. The population remained the same in 2000.
John Barnette Sanders, Postoffices and Post Masters of Panola County, Texas, 1845–1930 (Center, Texas, 1964).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "FURRH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrf29), accessed December 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.