FAIRVIEW, TX (ARMSTRONG COUNTY)
FAIRVIEW, TEXAS (Armstrong County). Fairview is on Farm Road 1151 twelve miles west of Claude in western Armstrong County. A rural school was established in the area in 1892 and moved twice before being moved to the present site in 1912. One of the teachers was Sam Bratton, who later became a United States senator from New Mexico. Local Methodists used the church at Washburn until 1902, when they built their own wooden church. This building was utilized until 1948, when the congregation moved to the old school auditorium after the school district was consolidated with that of Claude. In 1953, when Fairview joined the Texas Rural Neighborhood Improvement program, a community center was constructed. In 2000 the population was seventy-five.
Armstrong County Historical Association, A Collection of Memories: A History of Armstrong County, 1876–1965 (Hereford, Texas: Pioneer, 1965).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "FAIRVIEW, TX (ARMSTRONG COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrf32), accessed June 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.