FORD, TEXAS. Ford is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 385 and Farm Road 2587 in northeastern Deaf Smith County. It is named for J. W. (John) Ford, who brought his family to his homestead in November 1901 and later served as county assessor. Several more homesteaders followed, and by 1905 a school had been established there. The school building also served as an interdenominational church and as a community center. After the school district was consolidated with that of Hereford in 1940, the building was seldom used until the 1950s, when the county bought it and remodeled it as a shop for maintaining road equipment. The local 4-H Club and Extension Homemakers also use it, and elections are held there as well. The 1983 county highway map showed three businesses at Ford. In 2000 the population was fifteen.
Deaf Smith County: The Land and Its People (Hereford, Texas: Deaf Smith County Historical Society, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "FORD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrf33), accessed August 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.