FLY, TEXAS. Fly was on Farm Road 462 a mile west of Hondo Creek and four miles northwest of Hondo in central Medina County. Two teachers taught eighty-seven black students and twenty-nine white students at the Fly school in 1907. By the mid-1920s most of the landowners around the Fly community were living in Hondo while Mexican tenant farmers cultivated their lands. Though in 1947 Fly had the school and numerous homesites, it was abandoned by 1982.
Houston B. Eggen, History of Public Education in Medina County, Texas, 1848–1928 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1950).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "FLY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrf56), accessed November 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.