FRY'S GAP, TX
FRY'S GAP, TEXAS. Fry's Gap was on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad four miles northwest of Jacksonville in northeastern Cherokee County. It was named for Sarah Fry, who lived in the area for many years. She sold the townsite for Jacksonville to the railroad with the stipulation that it locate a depot near her home on Fry's Summit before January 1873. A post office operated there from 1903 to 1905. A town, however, never grew up, though maps show a depot there as late as the mid-1930s. In the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained in the area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "FRY'S GAP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrfek), accessed April 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.