FLAT WOODS, TX (NACOGDOCHES COUNTY)
FLAT WOODS, TEXAS (Nacogdoches County). Flat Woods is off Farm Road 225 a mile west of Redland Cemetery in northwestern Nacogdoches County. The site was settled in the 1850s. A school known as Plank House opened there before the Civil War, and the settlement was known for many years as Plank House or Pine Grove. Around 1880 the name Flat Woods came into use. At its height around 1900 the community had a school, several churches, and a sawmill. After World War II the school closed, and many of the residents moved away. In the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained in the area.
Nacogdoches County Genealogical Society, Nacogdoches County Families (Dallas: Curtis, 1985).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "FLAT WOODS, TX (NACOGDOCHES COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrfjn), accessed January 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.