FOREST ACADEMY, TX
FOREST ACADEMY, TEXAS. Forest Academy, a farming community just off State Highway 11 and eight miles southeast of Sulphur Springs in southeastern Hopkins County, developed in the early 1850s around a combination church and school at a site in a dense forest. Each summer until the early 1900s the community, which was made up almost exclusively of Methodist families, held revival meetings in a large open-air church there. Around 1900 Forest Academy had a public school, which in 1905 had an enrollment of sixty. By the early 1930s the community had a church, a cemetery, and a few houses, and by the early 1960s only the church and cemetery remained at the site. Forest Academy was a dispersed rural community in the late 1980s.
Florene Chapman Adams, Hopkins County and Our Heritage. (Sulphur Springs, Texas: 197-?).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "FOREST ACADEMY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrfkr), accessed April 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.