FITZE, TEXAS. Fitze, on the Southern Pacific Railroad four miles southeast of Garrison in northeastern Nacogdoches County, was settled after the Civil War. In 1883 the Houston, East and West Texas Railway was constructed as far as Fitze; in 1885 the railroad completed a line from there to the Louisiana border. During the 1930s the community had a flag station and a number of houses; several stores and a gin were also located in the area. After World War II many of the residents moved away, but as late as the mid-1960s there were still two sawmills and two churches in the area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "FITZE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrfnj), accessed July 31, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.