GARFIELD, TX (DEWITT COUNTY)
GARFIELD, TEXAS (DeWitt County). Garfield, on Farm Road 2656 ten miles west of Yorktown near the western corner of DeWitt County, was named for President James A. Garfield. J. G. Guenther taught the first school there in 1891, and the next year the Garfield Gun Club was started and a dance hall was built. A store was opened there in 1918, but by 1940 no community center was reported. The 1983 county highway map showed one business at Garfield. In 2000 the population was sixteen.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nellie Murphree, "GARFIELD, TX (DEWITT COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg05), accessed December 06, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.